Saturday, October 23, 2010

Homie needs a Homie for Fishing, Finding My Fishing Buddy - My Experience Part 4

So at this point, I've had the catalyst that gets me interested in fishing.  Good stuff.  And the final push to launched me head first into a new hobby.  Fishing.  I've done some research and I think I'm ready to really launch into this sport. 

I've got my self a list of places to go try.  I've Googled them repeatedly.  Studying every shore line, tree stump, twist and turn a river or slough has to offer.  Thank goodness for 10 year old images!  Actually, in some cases I've found Google Satellite View has rather current images.  For example, I was recently at Folsom Lake here in Northern California.  After being there, then looking at the satellite view on google, I found that images to be extremely close to the current water levels and the way the shores looked while there.  Give it a try in your area.  Perhaps you'll have the same luck!

Now... A fishing buddy.  I review my choices.

First Choice:  My daughter.  Shes old enough, or so I thought, to not kill her self, which she's not dead yet, so perhaps I was right.  And if I didn't think of her first I'm sure I'd have some splaining to do.  Ok.  This is a given.  My little girl is happy to tag along on my adventures.  Awesome.

But what about some adult companionship?  I can't take the younger boys with me, because, well, they're insane boys with little sense of self preservation.  Which by default, since my wife and I don't have much family around to watch the kids while we go out and adventure, the wife's off the list.  Damn.  She might be a bit nuts her self but she's damn entertaining at times to.  That and she's just cool to hang out with in general.  Yes.  I am a lucky guy.  I've got the wife who plays video games, watches anime, and so on.  Yes.  I'm lucky.  And unlucky to.  Can't put'er in my pocket and take her every where with me.  bummer.

Second Choice:  My neighbor.  For one, I run past him every day so he's just easy to ask.  Random fact:  My neighbor is some nut job and that an old buddy of mine knew from back, I think, in elementary school and later.  For a nut job, he's pretty cool.  Him, his wife, and their own little midget are good people.  Actually his wife was one of the people who tipped me off on one of the fishing holes I go out to.  The problem?  Dude's a slug when it comes to fishing.  Oh it has to be some graAAaand sea odyssey where he's catching sharks using dental floss and a hanger.  psh.  whatever.  Fine.  I move down the list.

Third Choice:  The old buddy I referred to in the Second Choice.  Another slug.  One of my best friends in the world.  But a total slug.  Yeah, you know who you are!  I guess a family, his own interests, and a job are just to damn important!  Whatever.  I forgive him.  But now he's off the list.  Rats. 

Fourth Choice:  Wait...  that's it?  Crapola!  I need to meet people.  Wonder if sitting behind a computer or TV for the past 10+ years has been detrimental to my social needs. 

hmmmmm...

NAAAAAAAAAh. 

So the daughter it is.  General tip.  When considering a fishing buddy, you may want to consider their needs.  No matter how strange or unnecessary they may seem, their needs are needs none the less.  If you want a pleasant trip, make sure their met.  For example, my daughter seems to have an aversion to breaking her tail bone.  Or coming close to it...  Psh.  Needs.  Whatever.

_________________________________________________________

Make sure to check out A Newbs Beginners Guide in How To Fish

1 comment: