Sunday, October 17, 2010

Appreciation of the best intentions

On the way home from the dog park...  We just stopped off at the pet store to get the dog a treat.  Somehow, the dog was the only one to return home with a treat and I still don't understand how that happened.  Why I tell the kids "No, you can't have a Snickers." while the dog walks away with two toys and a small bag of dog treats is beyond me.  Never the less...

My wife takes a quick glance in my direction.  I caught it.  And the signal is read completely.  And now I can only ask myself, "Why the hell is she suddenly nervous?".  One minute we're all having a great time at the dog park, the next, she's nervously asking me questions about what??? Fishing...

Here we go...

My Precious:  "So...  Do you know Rods and Reels all that well?"

<gulp>

Me:  "A bit.  I'm no pro at knowing what manufacture is best but I know some basics about what to look for." 

<and the hook is set, she's got me on her line...>

I launch into a monologue about the importance of the weight requirements a rod supports, the limits of how much line a reel can hold, and the differences between Monofilament fishing line and Braided fishing line.

See Post:  What the heck am I doing?

Feeling confident in my explanation as I had just written a blog post regarding this very topic, I was fairly proud of my answer. 

<that nervous glance reappears>

My Thoughts:  <Oh hell.  Here we go.>

My Darling:  "So, I think I may have perhaps potentially made an accidental possible mistake about something."

<drag this on for about 2 minutes>

Me:  "What... did you do..."

My Thoughts:  <Supportive!  Think!  Sound!  Be!  Supportive!!!>  I wince, slightly, inside.  <Damn, she saw that.>

My Sweetheart:  "So I got you some fishing line.  It was a GREAT deal!  I couldn't pass it up!  I think I may have potentially gotten some hypothetical fishing line that you might not be unable to use."

<spend a few minutes processing the language>

In the end, after some language barriers and an interpreter or two, she informs me she just bought me 500 yards of 20lb Monofilament Fishing Line.  Now...  I don't think I'm capable of using that much fishing line.  Especially when I have my pole rigged with 50lb Braided and have been using 15lb leaders.

<The Saving Grace>

On a recent fishing excursion, I realized I could probably use bumping up from 15lb leaders to something bigger.  Though all I have is 30lb mono as a stronger choice.  So 20lb mono is actually really ideal.  But when you use the stuff in 1 foot to 2 feet increments, you can imagine how long it will take to go through freaking 500 yards. 

Never the less, I'm actually quite stoked about the 20lb line and I do appreciate her best intentions greatly!  Though it may not sound like it above. <cough>  I actually adore the thought of her think'n about me while she browses her super savings websites and such. 

The other potential saving grace here?  She said she can use Fishing Line in her crochet.  Perhaps she can make me a lil sack that I can take with me.  Who knows! 

So thanks for thinking of me hun!  I love the bulk fishing line and I will lovingly appreciate it, one foot at a time.  Wait... this sounds like a greater commitment than our marriage!  <gulp!>

No comments:

Post a Comment